Patna University Library

Patna University Library

Presently the Patna University Library is located in specially designed spacious three storied building constructed in 53,250 sq. feet area, exclusively for library purpose. This new library building was inaugurated on 17.12.1958 by Dr. C.D. Deshmukh, the then chairman of University Grants Commission, New Delhi.
The ground floor of Patna University Library has Generator room, Entrance gate and Security guard room, display of new arrivals in the lounge, circulation cubicle for teachers, research scholars and students. It has large reading room for postgraduate and undergraduate students, Periodical cabinets of authors, titles and subjects. The Stack room containing books on Philosophy, Religion, Social Science, Humanities and Law. The Administrative section of the Library is also located on the ground floor.

The logo of Patna University library near the reading hall

The logo of Patna University library near the reading hall

The Centenary Pillar of Patna University located at the garden of Patna University Library

The Centenary Pillar of Patna University located at the garden of Patna University Library

The Reading Hall of the Library

The Reading Hall of the Library

Periodical Section of the Library

Periodical Section of the Library

The e-Learning Centre of Patna University Library

The e-Learning Centre of Patna University Library

Office chamber of Librarian of Patna University Library

Office chamber of Librarian of Patna University Library

S. No Name
1. Shri G. P. Tiwari 1919 1944
2. Shri  I. N. Sinha 1944 20.05.1960
3. Shri B. P. Mishra 21.05.1960 31.12.1991
4. Dr. Ugra Mohan Thakur 01.01.1992 31.01.2004
5. Shri A. K. Ghosh 01.02.2004 30.06.2006
6. Dr. Md. Mansoor Ansari 01.07.2006 31.01.2007
7. Prof. R. N. Mishra 01.02.2007 03.08.2009                                 
8. Dr. Ravindra Kumar 04.08.2009 20.01.2011
9. Dr. Jaydeva Mishra 21.01.2011 15.04.2012
10. Prof. S. R. Padmadeo 16.04.2012 22.07.2018
11. Prof. Rabindra Kumar 23.07.2018

The first floor of the Patna University Library has Institute of Library and Information Science had been established in this library on its first floor in 1980 on the approval of Government of Bihar. In this Institute Bachelor of Library and information Science (BLIS) course is running since 1981 whereas Master of Library and information Science (MLIS) course has been started in 2012. Having well qualified & learned guest faculty members and adequately available infrastructure the institute is trying to achieve highest wisdom in promoting and utilization of knowledge and information for the mankind.
The first floor of the Library also has Research Section having more than 25000 PhD. Thesis and dissertations, Reference section, UNESCO Centre, Acquisition section and Stack containing books on Science subjects and bound volume of periodical literatures.

The students of MLIS attending special lecture by Prof. A. P. Singh from BHU

The second floor contains the manuscript section of Patna University Library. Manuscript section containing collection of about 5763 old and rare manuscripts of national and international importance of different disciplines. It was collected by Pandit Vishnu Lal Shastri, Pandit Jagannath Mishra, Maulana A. balkhi, Dr. K.A.Imam and others. A descriptive catalogue of Sanskrit manuscripts and Hand list of Dharmashastra and Karmakand were prepared by Pandit Jagannath Mishra and published by Patna University in 1970 & 1977 respectively. The manuscripts are encrypted on palm leaves, animal skin, woods, etc. written in Maithili, Bengali, Tibetan, Awadhi, Tamil, Sanskrit, Chinese, Oriya, Devnagri, Nepali, Arabic, Persian and Urdu pertaining to the period from 14th Century AD. Some of the notable manuscripts are Saroj Kalika and Malti Madhvan of 14th Century AD, Tolinama, Risala Sifat Jaruriya of 15th Century AD, Jahangirnama, Brihad Jatak, Khatmaye Ferhanse of 16th Century and Mashnavi Seen Khushro and Laila Majnu of 17th Century AD.
There are number of silver coins belonging to the 13th to the 14th Century AD. The manuscripts are well preserved and are always the main attraction for visitors of Patna University Library. The manuscripts and rare antiques are great wealth of knowledge for researchers within and outside India. The Patna University Library caters the need of about 300 readers per day. It continues to be the core of research and other academic activities. Now it is moving towards modernization, digitalization and automation.

The Research Section of Patna University Library

The manuscripts inside the specially designed room

The manuscripts inside the specially designed room

The manuscripts on display at the Library

The manuscripts on display at the Library

The manuscripts on display at the Library

The manuscripts on display at the Library

RamcharitmanaswritteninBrajbhasa

Laila Majnu written in 17th Century AD

Every offort are being made to received INFLIBNET Services in the P.U.Library. The establishment of e-Library is in progrecess and the internet & e-mail facility will also be available to the reader.
An Institute of Library and Information Science had been established in this library on its first floor in 1980 on the approval of Government of Bihar. In this Institute BLIS course is running since 1981 whereas MLIS course has been started in 2012. Having well qualified & learned guest faculty members and adequately available infrastructure the institute is trying to achieve highest wisdom in promoting and utilization of knowledge and information for the mankind.


The glorious past:

The building of Patna University Library till 1958

The Patna University Library was established on 24th September 1919 with few textbooks purchased with a sum of Rs. 8000/- sanctioned by Lieutenant Governor of Bihar and Orissa as a special grant. The Library was shifted to the north of Wheeler Senate House in a building specially constructed for it within a decade of the establishment of Patna University. In the year 1936 a sum of Rs. 32,000/- was sanctioned for adding two more units to the main building. There were three sections in the Library- the first was known as the University General Library, which was mainly for teachers, students and registered graduates. The second was known as Bayley Memorial Collections meant for the use of general public as well as teachers and students; and the third was known as Banaili Economic Collection for the use of research Scholars. The Bayley Memorial Collection was founded in the memory of Sir Charles Bayley, the first Lieutenant Governor of Bihar and Orissa, who retired in the year 1915.
In the year 1924 the government granted a sum of Rs. 50,000/- for the purchase of books, etc. The amount received from government was placed in fixed deposit up to 1931. The income on the fixed deposits and Government Promissory Notes amounted to Rs. 4,252/- per year and this amount was spent on the purchase of books and maintenance of a part of the library staff. In the year 1920 the Raja of Banaili donated a sum of Rs. 5,000/- to purchase books on Economics. Some valuable Government Reports and rare books in Economics were purchased with this fund. In the year 1935, Lt. Col. O. A. R. Berkeley Hill, retired Director of the Ranchi Radium Institute, donated his valuable collection of 452 books on Psychology, Sociology and General Medicines to this Library.